Make Your Own Popiah
Discover 80 years of history and wrap handmade popiah skin!
About the workshop
Did you know? Popiah skin is the thinnest pancake in the world! It is commonly wrapped around cooked vegetables, peanuts and sweet sauce. Discover the fascinating history of this comfort food as you wrap your own popiah with Michael, whose family has been hand-making popiah skin for over 80 years.
Tour their shophouse restaurant in Joo Chiat, from which they have continuously operated since 1938! Be enchanted by beautiful murals of the good old days as you watch Michael demonstrate the masterful craft of handmaking popiah skin on searing hot pans!
What you will experience
1. Be received by Michael, a third-generation popiah maker. Discover the history of this craft, as well as Michael's family's 80-year history of making the popular dish!
2. Watch a demonstration of masterful popiah skin-making as Michael twirls and coaxes batter onto very hot pans.
3. Pick your favourite ingredients and wrap your own popiah!
4. Enjoy your creation at the workshop venue or bring it home! (Remember to bring your own containers)
5. Bring home a surprise snack as a souvenir!
Booking & Cancellation Policy
Unfortunately, cancellation is not permitted for this workshop.
Booking must be made 24 hours before the scheduled start time.
Please inform us about any allergies under 'Booking Details'.
Note: Full workshop address will be included in booking confirmation email.
Nearby this workshop
The Katong and Joo-Chiat neighbourhoods are conserved because of their rich Peranakan history. Visit us at the Singapore Visitor Centre housed in Kim Choo Kueh Chang, 111 East Coast Road, where you can savour Peranakan kueh!