About the workshop
Pottery is an ancient art with a long history in almost all developed cultures. Today, clay is still used in many different cultures, if not all of them! There's just something special about drinking out of a hand-shaped mug or eating a meal out of a unique ceramic dish.
Learn from a craftswoman who has led her team to create handmade custom tablewares for Michelin restauranteurs and also other pottery commissions in Singapore!
In this workshop, you will receive a quick 101 education on craft literacy so you are able to identify the different types of pottery commonly seen today. Learn about pottery fundamentals in this beginners course as your instructor takes you on a journey to "Rethink Craft" in Singapore, and the relevance of pottery in today's context. You will also be led on a studio walk-through to learn more about studio pottery practices, along with the various processes that must occur before a ceramic product is finished.
Your introduction into the world of pottery will be a hands-on experience with the method of coiling and pinching with clay, and you will also be guided on how to use the banding wheel. Handbuilding allows participants to have greater control of their outcomes such as sizes and forms, and at the end of the day you will achieve your very own vessels such as cups, mugs, small vases and bowls!
Planning a teambuilding or private event? Customized workshops are available! Learn more here!
What you will experience
1. The instructor will first begin a discussion to find out more about your previous experience with clay as well as your expectations from the session.
2. You will be led on a studio walk-through, to learn more about studio pottery practices and the various processes that must occur before a ceramic product is finished.
3. You will each receive coils of prepared clay and be guided to execute a vessel of their intention.
4. Learn about pottery vocabulary, tactile awareness and clay handling, along with different handbuilding techniques such coiling and pinching – foundational techniques of pottery-making – to create your very own art piece such as a cup, mug, budvase or bowl!
5. Choose from a selection of 2 SOCA glazes for your object.
6. All works will go through the firing process, and be ready for delivery approximately 4 weeks after the workshop!