About the workshop
Explore the oldest surviving dragon kiln in Singapore, learn more about the history of family owned business and we will bring you through the dragon's belly. Last but not least, free your mind in nature and get your hands dirty with clay.
Dragon kiln itself has more than 3000 years of history, it was introduced by the migrants from China to Singapore. Thow Kwang dragon kiln was built in 1940, and first generation Tan Kim Seh bought over the kiln in 1965. It was used to fire mass produced items like latex cups for rubber plantation, orchid pots for nurseries, water jars etc. By virtue of this, it is evident that Thow Kwang Industry, or perhaps the entire industry of ceramic production, has been an active and efficacious economic contributor. Today, Thow Kwang Dragon Kiln fires 2-3 times a year. Preserving and sustaining the traditions for more than 50 years and sharing experiences with the younger generations. The dragon kiln is also a cultural icon to educate the younger generation on traditions, heritage and Chinese culture, particularly from the Teochew dialect group.
In this workshop, you will have a private lesson on the history of dragon kiln, how a dragon kiln functions, different techniques of pottery making, including the different usages of tools and ways of glazing + beautifying artwork!
Planning a teambuilding event? Corporate workshops are available! Find out more here!
What you will experience
Go on a personalized pottery journey with our house ceramics craftsman/ craftslady!
This workshop includes:
• A guided site tour of Thow Kwang, with knowledge about the history of Singapore's oldest Dragon Kiln and the art of pottery making
• A private viewing of our electric kiln, in addition to the Dragon Kiln (not open to the public)
• A live demonstration of sculpting on the potter’s wheel
• Hands-on instruction on making your own creation on the potter’s wheel
• Personalized instruction on "hand-building" techniques (pinching, coiling, hollowing, etc) to create a second art piece!
• Glazing/ colouring of your hand-built art piece
*Prices are inclusive of all materials, glazing and firing of 2 art pieces (hand building and potter's wheel piece)
** IMPORTANT: Art pieces are ready for collection within 3 weeks time (Scroll down to "Other Details" for alternative arrangements)