About the workshop
School of Clay Arts is a boutique local Singaporean pottery studio, invested in working to improve the image and prestige of local makers. Spanning furniture, product design, craft and art installations, you can also find S O C A products in your favorite local cafes hugging that fragrant coffee or tea.
In this special team building package, participants will first receive an introduction to the multifarious processes behind pottery-making before being instructed on handbuilding techniques, including slab building, coiling and pinching. Each participant will get hands-on time to try the different techniques before finally choosing one art piece to fire of their own!
Includes: free delivery of artworks to one location 4-6 weeks after workshop date.
What you will experience
1. The workshop will begin with introduction to studio pottery practices. Participants will be led through the studio to understand more about the preparation of clay and the processes that require to occur before a ceramic object is vitrified.
2. Thereafter, the instructor will check-in with the participants on their ceramic experience and expectations from the workshop. Participants will be shown various examples of coiled ceramic pieces by previous participants as a visual reference of what is possible to create in a one-off handbuilding workshop.
3. The instructor will proceed to demonstrate and explain the basis and steps to the coiling technique for beginners.
4. Participants will work on their basic form using the coiling technique.
5. Pause to review the questions participants might have as well as some common struggles noticed by the instructor. The instructor may have also built up a coiled pot to demonstrate some possible variations and finishes.
6. Participants will take the rest of the time to perfect their technique and enjoy crafting!
7. 15 mins before the end of the session, participants will also get to select their preferred glaze from SO-CA's range of studio glazes.
8. The instructor will wrap up with some pointers on how to continue the pottery journey.
We believe in small-class sizes and personal attention. Each instructor oversees an average of 5 students for any given trial class.