A Journey Through Singapore Typesetting
Try your hand at traditional letterpress typesetting!
About the workshop
Letterpressing is an art form that has been preserved and evolved throughout the years since its invention. Up till the 20th century, it remained the primary way of printing and distributing information through newspapers and books. Uniquely in Singapore, typesets had to be created in multiple languages and formats to fulfil its multicultural society.
In this workshop, learn about the unique history of letterpress in Singapore, as well as the basics of typography, the anatomy of a type and the various tools involved in typesetting in our composing room. Try our in-house printing press and receive hands-on guidance on operating it on your own!
Planning a teambuilding or private event? Customized workshops are available! Learn more here!
What you will experience
Learn about the history of letterpress printing in Singapore, and how it contributed to Singapore’s story! Try your hand at the printing press and bring back an old school piece of print and a Goodie Bag!
Make your own Totebag
1. Be introduced to the printing press along with a demonstration on how it operates!
2. Try your hand at arranging types to form your own design and layout.
3. We will help you to lock your content, and you can print your design onto your tote bag (A3 size)!
4. Go on to bring home your very Own Creation and a Goodie Bag!
1. Try your hand at arranging types to form your own design and layout.
2. We will help to lock your content before you print your design yourselves!
3. Bring home your very own A3 poster and a Goodie Bag!
4. If there's time, print more than one poster! (Capped at 3)
A History of Typesetting
1. An introduction to the history of letterpress printing and specifically typesetting
2. Learning about the basics of typography and the anatomy of type
3. Be introduced to typesetting tools and the entire process of typesetting
4. Students will learn typesetting in stages: layout, lockup, make-ready, ink & colour and packing.
5. Bring home 15 customized cards with a personalized quote designed by yourself using our in-house printing press and a Goodie Bag!
Booking & Cancellation Policy
Unfortunately, cancellation is not permitted for this workshop.
Booking must be made 48 hours before the scheduled start time.
Done with your workshop but want to come back for more? Email us at [email protected] to make follow-up bookings! Spend up to 3 hours in these open sessions and print more personalized cards!
Note: Full workshop address will be included in booking confirmation email.
Nearby this workshop
Nicoll Highway Station (Circle Line)